Day 2... Extreme Fatigue, Day 3.... Soylent is great!

Day 2

Yesterday began with me running late. I had the hardest time dragging myself out of bed to get to work. I finally got there, and drank my coffee based soylent... it was amazing. The day progressed fairly normally at first. The first thing I noticed was that the hunger that was common with day 1 was almost altogether gone. That is until lunch. The smell of food is magnified a hundred times. My body reacted viscerally to the scents around me. My stomach rumbled, but the hunger I felt the first day was gone. Around noon though I started to crash and it wasn't something I was going to recover from with another hit of soylent. I rarely have ever felt this level of pure exhaustion. I was falling asleep at my desk, and nearly did so on the way home from work. I fell asleep when I got home slept the sleep of the dead for two hours.

Several explanations for this arise.

1. It's the soylent, and I am reacting poorly to it.
2. I had a growing sleep deficit all week long and it came back to bite me.
3. I switched from energy drinks and soda as my primary source of caffeine to coffee.
4. In my switch I am unintentionally cutting my caffeine intake dramatically.

I doubt that 1 is the case. I'm not cutting my calories so drastically as to merit that kind of crash. Although I think the deficit played a part, I just don't think the shake itself is to blame.

As for 2-4 I doubt any one of these were the cause, as I regularly operate on less than optimal sleep. I also switch out coffee for my energy drinks fairly regularly and sometimes only have one caffeinated beverage all day long.

However, I think all of the above combined to create the perfect storm for a crash of epic proportions. I'm just glad I made it home safely.

After my nap I woke up energized feeling great. I had a good time with my family and had a good evening.

Day 3

Finally got onto the BIA scale. I've lost two pounds and am down to 291. My BIA scale is giving me a body fat percentage at 45.6%. BIA scales are notoriously inaccurate, but it should measure trends in body fat as long as used consistently at the same time of day and not after meals or water consumption.

Made another drip coffee based soylent. Again delicious. Left out cocoa today though, didn't taste much different.

Today was a huge improvement over the prior day, firstly I never had fatigue like Friday. Although around 2 pm I did take a 30-40 minute nap I felt like that was to make myself feel better rather than to prevent a crash and burn scenario.

We had friends over for dinner, and it was fine. I explained to them my soylent diet and they were totally cool about it. They ate their amazing looking stuffed chicken breasts and I drank my soylent. I bet they were totally jealous of me. Who wouldn't be?

On a side note "real food" looks and smells far more appetizing than it has in a long time. I'm starting to fantasize about my next masticating meal. Mexican sounds amazing, pizza too. It seems like a total treat rather than something I must do. I'm thinking of going to all soylent minus one or two meals a week. These can be meals that I can put extra time, money, and energy into because I haven't been doing that with all the other meals during the week. We can look forward to them as a family. This isn't my post trial plan for sure yet, but I am getting the feel for how I want to proceed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Days 4-8

The Unboxing & First Batch

First 24 Hours of Soylent